West Union Covered Bridge

This West Union Covered Bridge was constructed by the Northwestern Turnpike Company in the late-1830s and spanned the Middle Island Creek for over a century. Our beloved covered bridge was destroyed in the Great Flood of 1850. 

Covered bridge after it washed off its pedestal and floated downstream, where it lodged against a concrete bridge.

Pedestal that the covered bridge washed from. On the southerly side of Middle Island Creek.

Remains of the covered bridge after it was destroyed by the Army Corps of Engineers.

 © 2020 Doddridge County Heritage Guild